6. Johnson will phone his mother as soon as he in Kunming.
C. will arrive
D. is arriving
7. The young policeman asked her name was.
8. This song is very with young people.
9. The family at a small hotel for the night.
A. put up
B. went up
C. got up
D. jumped up
10. "We can't go out in this weather, "said Bob, out of the window.
A. to have looked
D. to look
11. --Let' s go to the concert tonight, Mary.
--Sorry, I . I have to help my morn with the housework.
A. needn' t
B. can' t
C. mustn' t
D. shouldn' t
12. I chose this coat in the end because ones were all too expensive.
A. the others
D. the other
13. We got to the cinema late the heavy traffic.
A. because of
B. instead of
C. according to
D. except for
14. David has decided football at the end of this season.
A. give up
B. giving up
C. to give up
D. having given up
15. Clearly, object of the game is to improve children' s math skills.
A. 不填; the
B. an ; the
C. 不填; 不填
D. the ; 不填
16. arriving home she found her old friend already there.
17. He says he has the T-shirt, I' ve never seen him wear it.
18. When Anna the room, a group of young men were talking eagerly round the table.
B. has entered
C. was entering
19. --Do you mind if I open the window？
A. Yes, please
B. No, go ahead
C. No, please don' t
D. Yes,you' d better do
20. A museum in the city centre next year.
A. will be built
B. will build
C. was built
Over the summer, my family took a trip to Iceland to see the natural beauty of it. Little did I 21 I would wake up one morning to have my eyes swelled up (肿胀) like balloons! I wasfrightened. So many questions were 22 through my head. Am I allergic (过敏的) to something?Was there some Icelandic disease that I 23 ? The only help I received was some allergy tnedicine 24 a clinic nearby. Nothing was working.
When the trip was over, I went to see my doctor. She gave me eye drops, but clearly theyweren't worth the time or 25 and the swelling got worse and worse.
I finally decided that it would be best for me to 26 being so sad and take it easy and havefun. It was summer after all. I had a fun night with my friends as if nothing was 27 . The nextmorning I woke up and went to 28 how swollen my eyes were, only to find myself 29 at mynormal face. It was a miracle (奇迹). I 30 asking myself why I hadn' t done that earlier. Wasbeing with my friends and having fun really the 31 to my problem?
To this day I still do not know what I had, and 32 do any of the many doctors that I 33 during the summer. I would really like to go back to Iceland to see the Northern Lights, 34 I amvery much frightened that I am just allergic to the country. I hope I never 35 having suchterrible swelling in my eyes ever again.
21. A. know B. doubt C. insist D. fear
22. A. cutting B. going C. pulling D.hurrying
23. A. caused B. fought C. caught D. treated
24. A. on B. from C. with D. to
25. A. pain B. adventure C. weight D. money
26. A. try B. mind C. prefer D. stop
27. A. fair B. mistaken C. similar D. wrong
28. A. check B. explain C. describe D. mark
29. A. aiming B. looking C. waving D. pointing
30. A. missed B. kept C. regretted D. excused
31. A. way B. relation C. answer D. devotion
32. A. neither B. none C. either D. no
33. A. hated B. employed C. disappointed D. visited
34. A. so B. or C. but D. for
35. A. finish B. forgive C. experience D.consider
When you go on your job interview (面试) ,be sure to dress well,be on time,do your researchand NEVER ask any of the following questions:
1. "How quickly could I be promoted (晋升) ？
An employer first of all wants an employee to be happy with the position they have. Ambition( 抱负 ) is good, but there is a time and place to discuss promotion, and it' s not during an interview.
2. "Will I be able to work from home"
This is basically telling your future boss--before you' ve even started---that you" re too lazy. tocome into the office.
3. "How much vacation time does this position offer?"
Although this could be asked, this is the type of information you should get AFIER you' vebeen offered a position and not before.
4. "Will I have to work with a team?"
Almost all jobs need some kind of teamwork, so any sign that you are not a ~ team playerwill leave you with unfavorable points in an employer' s eyes.
5. "Does this position come with a handsome pay.
The pay is usually discussed after a position has been offered. If an employer affe~ this subject,feel free to discuss it. Otherwise, try not to look like you are interested only in things~ for your owngood. An employer will more readily hire someone interested in bettering themselves AND thecompany as a whole.
36. An employer usually expects an employee to be
A. hungry for promotion
B. satisfied with the vacation
C. pleased with the position
D. curious about the workplace
37. Asking to work from home may make your future boss think that
A. you want to stay away from your boss
B. you work better at home
C. you' re unwilling to meet others
D. you' re too lazy to come into the office
38. When can you offer the subject of pay?
A. Before you ask about teamwork.
B. After you get the job.
C. At the end of your interview.
D. At the beginning of your interview.
39. What might be the best title of this text?
A. Questions Not to Ask in a Job Interview
B. How to Dress for a Job Interview
C. Clever Answers to Interview Questions
D. Proper Time for a Job Interview
Maria Mitchell ( 1818 - 1889 ), the first woman astronomer ( 天文学家) in the United States,was born in Nantucket, Massachusetts. Her parents valued education and insisted on giving her thesame quality of education that boys received.
Her father, William Mitchell, was an astronomer and teacher himself. When he built his ownschool, Maria became a student and also a teaching assistant to him. At home, Maria' s father taughther to watch the stars and other natural objects in space using his personal telescope (望远镜).
Later she went to work at the library of the Nantucket Atheneum. Over the next twenty years,she further developed her interest in reading as many books as she could. She spent her nightswatchingo the sky closely with her father.
On October 1,1847 ,Mafia discovered a comet (彗星) by merely using a two-inch telescope.Some years before, King Frederick V[ of Denmark had set up prizes to each discoverer of a"telescopic comet". The prize was to be given to the "first discoverer" of each such comet becausecomets were often discovered by more than one person.
There was once a question of who should be the winner. As the story goes, Francesco de Vicohad discovered the same comet two days later, but had reported it to the European officialor~ ni~tion first. However,after some discussion this was settled in Mitchell' s favor. She won the ptite in 1848 and became a big name the world over. The comet was named "Miss Mitchell' s Comet".
40. What can be learnt about Mafia' s parents according to the text?
A. They came from low-income families.
B. They gave Mafia equal chance for education.
C. They were both astronomers.
D. They were both teachers.
41. Who played the most important role in Mafia' s great achievement?
A. King Frederick VI.
B. Francesco de Vico.
C. Her father.
D. Her mother.
42. What problem did Maria meet with in winning the prize?
A. She named the comet on her own.
B. She did not use the required telescope.
C. She did not report her discovery in time.
D. She discovered the comet with her father.
43. When did Francesco de Vico discover the comet?
A. In 1818.
B. In 1889.
C. In 1848.
D. In 1847.
Many schools have their art programs removed in an effort to improve test scores and save
money. However, some researchers believe that this is not correct. Students can master some basicskills in art class that they cannot find in a normal classroom. Allow me to share why you have to take art class.
First and most important ,it stimulates creativity (激发创造力). Art schools encourage you tothink outside the box and be creative enough to create something artistic. It can be used not only in art but in life, too Besides, it helps you make the right choice. In art class, you are usually free to do what you want. In every art class, you are required to make decisions that can determine what your painting will turn out to be.
In addition,students can learn the art of critical (批判性的) thinking as a skill of observation (观看). For example, art students find ways to imagine. That is a skill they need to become better readers and problem settlers.
What is more, it is noted that the company' s bosses are actively looking for employees who can think creatively. Creative thinking is one of the most important skills that students can learn in art courses.
Finally, students who are trained in art class have interesting mental habits. They learn how to work on a task for a long time and how to continue to work even if they are discouraged. They are better for creating a link between the classroom and the outside world. In addition, children who do art work are able to look back on their work and make judgments about themselves.
44. Why are art programs removed from many schools?
A. To make students have their own hobbies.
B. To improve students' test scores and save money.
C. To help students master some job skills.
D. To give students more free time.
45. What is the most important quality students develop in art class?
46. What can we learn from the text?
A. Art students are easily employed.
B. Art programs may bring a lot of money.
C. Art class can help students in many ways.
D. Art teachers should pay more attention to tests.
You know what a hotel is, of course. And perhaps, you also know what a condo is--a residential(居住的) building divided into separate units that are owned by different people. What you may not know is that in some U. S. cities, the two have come together into something called a "condo hotel".
Some condo hotels can now be found in beach and mountain towns and a few small cities.However, none is more famous than the great lOS-year-old Plaza Hotel in New York, on Fifth Avenue across from Central Park. The Plaza closed for repair in 2005. When it reopened two years later, more than half of it had been changed into one of these modern condo hotels.
Here' s how it works : You buy what equals to an apartment (公寓). If it' s at The Plaza, it will cost you between $1.5 million and $9 million. So you own a part of the building. But there' s some inconvinience. You may stay there no more than 120 days a year. The rest of the time, the hotel' s workers can book guests into your place,just as they would in the regular hotel' s rooms. So if you' re lucky and rich,you can now live in really special quarters up to almost one third of the year,while others pay off your mortgage (房贷) the rest of the year.
So far,a great many of the nation's condo hotel units have been purcltased not by rich peoplebut by richer companies, including foreign ones. They want a nice place for their bosses to stay when they're in town or working late at the office.
47. A condo is a place where people
48. How long can you stay in your own condo hotel unit at most each year?
A. 120 days.
B. One month.
C. Half a year.
D. Three months.
49. What does purchased in the last paragraph probably mean?
50. What do we know about a condo hotel?
A. It is designed by rich companies.
B. It is built for foreign travellers.
C. It is usually sold at a low price.
D. It is owned by different people.
( L = Lucy; S = Sir)
L :Excuse me, sir. 51 the Art Exhibition Centre?
S : Yes, but it is quite far. It' s about an hour' s walk. You can take a bus the~
L: 52 ？
S:You can take B.us No. 15.
L: 53 ？
S:About 20 minutes. And you can also take a taxi.
L:Taxi? That' s a good idea. Thank you very much.
Dear Dr. Smith,
Looking forward to your early reply.
Yours, Li Hua